Monday, November 29, 2010

thanksgiving!

Normally for Thanksgiving i go home and my sisters and i cook most of the food at my Gramma's house.  this year i didn't visit my family and just had a potluck with friends and only contributed a few dishes.  this made it a little less fun, as i LOVE cooking all the yummy dishes of this feast day, but cut down drastically on the stress.  next year i am hoping to host and make most everything myself, with some new recipes as well. 

for the potluck i made deviled eggs (thanks so much Haley for helping peel those eggs!), green bean almondine, and pumpkin pie.  i also brought cranberry macadamia nut stuffing, but my friend Haley put that together mostly, and it was delicious.   deviled eggs are like candy to me.  every Thanksgiving and Christmas either i or one of my sisters make these and they go fast once they are on the table.  i don't even like mustard or mayonnaise, but for some reason, when it is mixed in with the egg yolks and maybe some vinegar for some extra tang and a bit of paprika on top, i cant stop myself, they are quite addicting. 


green bean almondine is one of my favorite sides and it is so simple, yet has really complex and unexpected flavors.  i sautee fresh green beans in olive oil, salt and pepper (fresh ground is best) and cook for maybe five minutes before adding the almonds.  i always buy raw whole almonds and chop them roughly for this dish, it always seems to taste better.  i add those and cook until they are browned and roasted, and have a slight meaty flavor.  all the components in the dish really compliment each other. 


pumpkin pie is one of my favorites, and i make it quite a few times between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  i normally just use the recipe on the back of the pumpkin puree can, but to really pull the flavors out, use fresh ground spices.  you will be amazed at how much difference this makes.  every time i make pumpkin pie i always want to make homemade whipped cream as well, but i don't own a mixer. that is next on my list to buy once i have a few extra dollars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment